Ketchup
Old Noarlunga, SA
New Photos!!! For the next few weeks, I'll be posting photos from a picnic date that I took my girlfriend out on: these were taken at Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens last month Smile Enjoy!

Spoiler: Autumn Series 1
[Image: ATl7Qgz.jpg]

[Image: 0BV4Dwq.jpg]

[Image: 7799SuC.jpg]

Follow via my Website!
Follow on Facebook!
Join in the conversation at G+!
everypone, Explonova like this post
Crystal Pony
Vault 111, Other
Oh no! The leaves not the leaves. I will drown!
[Image: QDeW28J.jpg]
Columnist
Glenwood, Western Sydney., NSW
Those look wonderful Josh! I'm loving the logo design watermark on the photographs too! Very schmick.

I promise i'll give them a critical analysis soon, but at the moment i'm writing a paper on the Dogon people of West Africa, plus an exam the week after!

Love you and your work! Don't forget that! Fluttershy
Josh:P likes this post
Ketchup
Old Noarlunga, SA
(30/05/2015 05:25 PM)Explonova wrote:  Love you and your work! Don't forget that! Fluttershy

[Image: tumblr_inline_no5bnriDEi1sgf0rg_500.gif]

Seriously though, thank you!! I'm in a similar predicament, although I'm glad to say that I don't have exams Cheer However I have one less week to finish final assignments, as I'm going up north to visit my girlfriend and her family in a week! So, really any posts seen here or on other sites are me procrastinating Lie
Explonova likes this post
Ketchup
Old Noarlunga, SA
Whoa I'm like 3-4 weeks behind on posts!!! Why Don't worry, I'm finished with assignments for the semester, so expect a bulk-post coming soon™!
Columnist
(28/05/2015 01:12 PM)Josh:P wrote:  New Photos!!! For the next few weeks, I'll be posting photos from a picnic date that I took my girlfriend out on: these were taken at Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens last month Smile Enjoy!

Spoiler: Autumn Series 1
[Image: ATl7Qgz.jpg]

[Image: 0BV4Dwq.jpg]

[Image: 7799SuC.jpg]

Follow via my Website!
Follow on Facebook!
Join in the conversation at G+!
Think With the first photograph, at first it didn't really interest me at first to be honest. But then I persevered and after I had acknowledged the overwhelming rhythm and repetition of the warmly coloured autumn leaves, I felt a lovely sensation of branches slowly emerging in the picture plane. I think that it wonderfully mirrors the slow growth of tree branches competing for sunlight amongst other trees. It also reminds me of tree roots which upheave roads and buckle other products of civil engineering and infrastructure.

It speaks to me of deep time, beyond the fleeting moments of an individual human's lifespan. Perhaps not as deep as Cosmological time, but rather thousands of years in geological time. It also is quite moving to me because this sensation of gradual emergence was shared to me funnily enough in a relatively brief moment. To me, this simulated sensation cements a relationship with this tree as we share biological ancestry far back in time. It really is quite mesmerising this photograph. I really respect artists who encourage the viewer to find the beauty in everything. Thank you for that fulfilling and powerful experience. Applejack Happy

Rarity Happy In the next photograph, I quite like the vignetting and the landscape orientation.The strong vertical of the stem/ trunk is quite distinct to the lateral leaves littering the lower layer of the land. Not to mention the off-centre placement of the central trunk was nicely done as a pictorial device as it creates interesting negative space. Although the blades of grass can be considered verticals too, the scale of them pales in comparison to the trunk, plus the selective focus also makes the trunk stand out more. I'm also really in love with the tonality and colour of the leaves as some are a sap green, a few are lime green, whilst the majority remind me of little mangoes or lemons! Cute!

What is also nice compositionally about the 2nd photograph are the curves and arabesques. The thick branches just diverging from the main trunk resemble arteries, aorta's and veins from a human heart. It very much reminds me of complex Mayan imagery. This also brings to mind the relationship between animals and plants, concerning the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. An exchange, just like how Mayan royal blood was spilled as a sacrifice for entering the spiritual and divine. Perhaps a little grim, but it's fascinating to me at least. Plan

The last photograph again is nicely composed. The tilt of the horizon line gives a little touch of drama, yet the tranquility of the scene acts as a nice counter-balance. Just like in the second photograph I love the depiction of varying quality of line with thinner branches with thicker ones. Another example of juxtaposed elements is the inclusion of line with the mass or tonal elements of the leaves and trunks. The limited colour palette is quite nice, which unifies and harmonises the image. So much so, that the fallen leaves on the ground are almost like a reflection of the tree, and that the ground may actually be a still expanse of water. Or perhaps the ground directly below the tree resembles more of a cross-section of the tree itself. Very rhythmic and beautiful in the use of symmetry there.Happy3
everypone, Josh:P like this post
Ketchup
Old Noarlunga, SA
Cheers Simon, I'm always happy when my work brings a smile to someone and provokes such a deep and emotional connection :D It really makes it worthwhile!

Here's a couple week's worth of photos to try and catch up! Hope everyone enjoys :)

Spoiler: 9 More Autumn photos
[Image: figFsHo.jpg]
[Image: NL392wL.jpg]
[Image: EdYtIIK.jpg]
[Image: 2daA2QH.jpg]
[Image: 48QPBlv.jpg]
[Image: mPbtlCr.jpg]
[Image: UYllRhK.jpg]
[Image: 9lv3JF3.jpg]
[Image: kPMD051.jpg]

Sometimes I feel cheap, cause a lot of these seem like the same photo from a different angle :/ not entirely sure how to feel... still, I enjoy what I do and I want to share that with everyone here! If for nothing else it's great practice :)

I have some more autumn photos coming up, and as always if you'd like to see them now you can see all of these and more by following me on my website: Website
Facebook
G+
DeddStallionTrotting, Explonova, octopip like this post
Ketchup
Old Noarlunga, SA
MOAR photos! Wrapping up the Autumn series! Hope you enjoy :)

Spoiler: Autumn Wrap Up
[Image: hD70xEo.jpg]
[Image: clb6hhw.jpg]
[Image: 4xnzmfZ.jpg]
[Image: XWR6VeD.jpg]
[Image: XNJY5vV.jpg]
[Image: LEHnTru.jpg]
[Image: TC7Nw6p.jpg]
[Image: 65uUIDL.jpg]
[Image: O06Bi4z.jpg]
[Image: nX5TQtZ.jpg]

Numbered for the convenience of anyone wishing to talk about a particular photo! Hope you've enjoyed this series of photos :) We're now officially caught up, so I'll be posting photos on here the day after they get published on my website. If you'd like to see them early, be sure to follow me by going to http://joshp.link and clicking Follow!

Website
Facebook
G+
Carson Marain likes this post
Ketchup
Old Noarlunga, SA
*Hacks through layers of dust accumulated on this thread to bring an update*
Heeeeey this update isn't photographic in nature but I thought perhaps you might be interested to see what I've been up to at Uni, and plus I've wanted to post these pictures myself! What follows is a progression of my recreation of the painting Young Man with a Skull by Frans Hals, made using oils on canvas for my Art History and Theory class.
Original:
[Image: b5u3NIi.jpg]

We didn't have to paint the whole painting, because the original of Young Man with a Skull is quite large; so I chose a small 45 cm x 45 cm portion:
[Image: JN4rRc3.jpg]

Unfortunately I didn't get photos of the prep that went into this, such as painting the background tone and chalking the outline of the subject, but here are the rest of the photos that I took along the way:

[Image: BKOQofV.jpg]
[Image: vepmhcX.jpg]
[Image: SFXXmRE.jpg]
[Image: a46NYcm.jpg]
[Image: tRVVd9l.jpg]
[Image: 5y7aa0M.jpg]
Final Product:
[Image: pxeeNXH.jpg]

Overall this is about 8 weeks of work, I really enjoyed working with oils and it was my first time so I wasn't disappointed with how it looks. I'm fairly good at accepting that this is the level that I'm up to, and if I keep practicing I could do better, but I'm content with being at this level and just enjoying myself.
brsajo, Carson Marain, Deeayen, everypone, Explonova like this post
Columnist
This is really cool! Which Uni do you study at btw?

I find traditional glazing method of painting to be incredibly difficult, but the palettes of these painters were easier to manage.

Nice job there. I know very little about Franz Hals and I haven't even seen this particular painting before. Would like to see more.
Ketchup
Old Noarlunga, SA
Long time no forum post! Haha I was pretty content leaving that to be my final contribution to this thread, I've more or less moved myself back to lurker status.
I study at Flinders University, Bedford Park Campus, SA; currently in my 3rd year Education, and final year Arts.

Cheers! I don't know much about him either, but I liked this painting out of our choices so I went with it! Every time I look at it though I can't help but think of the "Aliens" guy, like seriously!! That hand gesture, the lazy look in the eyes off to the side, and holding the skull like it's supporting evidence or something, I can't help but laugh:

[Image: Ancient-Aliens.jpg]

[Image: eJ7a9aG.png]
Explonova likes this post
Colt/Filly
WA
[quote='Josh:P' pid='692865' dateline='1395469725']
[Image: KTk69ju.png]

Working on a series of chibi-filly-sock-wearing stickers! Gonna start with the Mane 6 and Spike, and I'm considering adding Derpy and the Doctor :3
[/quote

If you fixed up the lines just a liiiiiittle bit, then I would definitely buy this! WatchFluttershy
1 Hot Chocolate 4 me equal 1 S U C C 4 U!
Ketchup
Old Noarlunga, SA
(04/03/2016 03:39 PM)Brohoof Studios wrote:  [quote='Josh:P' pid='692865' dateline='1395469725']

Working on a series of chibi-filly-sock-wearing stickers! Gonna start with the Mane 6 and Spike, and I'm considering adding Derpy and the Doctor :3
[/quote

If you fixed up the lines just a liiiiiittle bit, then I would definitely buy this! WatchFluttershy

Well prepare to be disappointed, cause that was from 3 years ago and I couldn't give less shit about that Happy
Colt/Filly
WA
(04/03/2016 03:40 PM)Josh:P wrote:  
(04/03/2016 03:39 PM)Brohoof Studios wrote:  [quote='Josh:P' pid='692865' dateline='1395469725']

[/quote

Well prepare to be disappointed, cause that was from 3 years ago and I couldn't give less shit about that Happy

Aw man that sucks Uh
1 Hot Chocolate 4 me equal 1 S U C C 4 U!